Gulab Jamun is a classical Indian sweet often prepared during festivals like Diwali, Eid-ul-Fitr and Eid al-Adha and major celebrations like the Marriages. Traditionally Gulab Jamun is prepared by using Khoya or milk powder, fried and soaked in sugar syrup. Preparing khoya could be a tedious task and hence there are many instant ready mixes available in the market which contain all necessary ingredients to produce soft and juicy gulab jamun. Now I am presenting here a simple and easy version of gulab jamun recipe prepared from the ready-mix or instant gulab jamun mix within 30 Minutes.
Recipe Ingredients & Cooking Process
- Note: You can change the Servings count below to get updated ingredient quantities
Gulab Jamun Recipe
- 100 grams Gulab Jamun Ready Mix
- 3-4 tbsp Milk / water
- 2 tsp Dry Fruits chopped
- Oil or Ghee for deep fry
- 250 grams Sugar
- 2 cups Water
- 10 stands Saffron optional
- 4 Green Cardamom
Making Sugar Syrup
- Add Sugar & Water in a heavy-bottomed pan & mix it well.
- Boil the syrup until it turns slightly sticky.
- Turn off the stove & add cardamom powder.
- Cover & set aside to keep it hot.
- Empty the pack of instant gulab jamun mix in a mixing bowl & mix it well with hands.
- Add 2 tbsp of warm milk and make a smooth and soft dough.
- Take 1/2 tsp of Ghee, rub it over the dough. Cover & keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Divide to 14 to 18 equal-sized portions. Grease your hands and roll to smooth balls.
- Make sure there are no cracks on balls & keep them covered.
- Heat the oil/ghee in a pan on low flame.
- To check the right temp, you can drop a small piece of dough in the oil.
- Make sure the oil is not very hot else the gulab jamuns will turn brown without cooking well.
- When the ghee/ oil is just medium hot, add the balls & fry on a low flame until the balls turn golden brown.
- Keep stirring gently to fry them uniformly.
- Immediately, drop the hot jamuns into the hot sugar syrup. Cover the lid and rest for at least 1 hour to absorb the syrup.
- Finally, the gulab jamuns have doubled in size.