Known for its awesome taste & flavors, Kebabs have played a major role in developing the human palate, especially in Asia. From the smoky char-grilled to tandoori specials, there is a massive list of kebabs that have and continue to take our breath away! One such recipe is Afghani Chicken Kebab – chicken glazed with distinctive ingredients and grilled or shallow fried.
Heavily marinated in a silky yogurt, cashew and fresh cream marinade seasoned with an array of spices, the Afghani Chicken Kebab is a juicy dish that can be cooked to perfection on a pan, in a tandoor, or even in a barbecue grill. It is an excellent option to have as a starter or appetizer at a dinner party or any special occasion.
This chicken kebab is mildly spicy and best enjoyed with some mint chutney and onion rings on the side and lemon squeezed over generously. If you haven’t tried this mouthwatering dish yet then you are missing out on a culinary gem. Here is the step by step recipe guide on how to make the Authentic Afghani Chicken Kebab recipe.
Recipe Ingredients & Cooking Process
Note: You can change the Servings count below to get updated ingredient quantities.
Afghani Chicken Kebab
- 500 g Chicken (Bone less / Bone-in)
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Ginger – Garlic Paste
- 3 tbsp Curd/Yogurt
- 10 no. Cashews
- 2 no. Green Chilli (finely chopped)
- 2-3 tbsp Fresh Cream
- 1/2 tsp Pepper Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Chat Masala
- 1/2 tsp Kasoori Methi Powder
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
- Salt – as needed
- 1 piece Charcoal
- 1/2 tsp Ghee
Preparationof Afghani Chicken Kebab
- Clean and wash chicken properly.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, 1 tsp salt, and lemon juice to the chicken pieces.
- Mix well & keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- Take curd and cashews into a mixer and grind them to a fine paste. Set it aside.
- Now add pepper powder, coriander powder, chat masala, garam masala, chopped green chillies, and fresh cream to the chicken pieces.
- Add the ground yogurt & cashew paste, and it a good stir.
- Now take a piece of charcoal and place it on your gas burner and heat it. With the help of metal tongs, just keep rotating it on the flame till it becomes red hot.
- Take the coal into a small aluminum bowl and place it in the center of the marination bowl. Pour some ghee over it and cover the dish.
- It will begin to smoke. Immediately cover the pan and allow it to rest for about 3-4 minutes.
- Open the lid and remove the coal cup. Your dish will now have a smoked tandoori flavor.
- Cover & marinate the chicken in the fridge for at least 1 hour or maybe longer.
Making of Afghani Chicken Kebab
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a non-stick pan.
- Once the oil is hot enough, place the marinated chicken pieces only onto the pan. Do not pour the extra marination.
- Fry the chicken pieces for 10 – 15 minutes on a medium flame.
- Keep turning in between in a gap of 5 minutes.
- Once the chicken is done, increase the flame and fry until the moisture dries up and the pieces turn golden brown.
- Switch off the flame & serve hot with any chutney of your choice like green chutney or mint chutney.
- Always cook the kebabs on a low – medium flame for a longer time due to this the chicken cooks well and tastes more.
- Marinate chicken for at least 1 hour, or overnight if time allows. The longer it marinates, the more tender your chicken will be.
- Don’t skip cashews and cream as the rich taste in the kebab comes from these two only.
- If needed add the extra marination to cook the chicken.