One of the classic non-vegetarian recipes of India, the Mughlai Chicken Recipe is a typical chicken curry that evolved in the medieval Indo-Persian culture that belonged to the Mughal Empire. This mild, thick, creamy gravy is one of the excellent and appetizing dishes which can be served during lunch or dinner time and would be exceptionally delectable during family get-togethers or parties.
This is an extremely popular Indian Chicken recipe from the Royal Mughlai Kitchens of Lucknow/Hyderabad. Traditionally, the Mughlai chicken curry is nicely cooked in a thick gravy of well-blended ingredients like the almonds, cashews, spices, and curd.
Eating this aromatic creamy gravy with tandoori roti, butter naan or rice is exceptionally fantastic and makes a complete delectable delight to your taste buds. If you haven’t tried this mouthwatering dish yet then check our step by step recipe guide on how to make the perfect Mughlai Chicken recipe here.
Recipe Ingredients & Cooking Process
- Note: You can change the Servings count below to get updated ingredient quantities.
- 500 g Chicken
- 4 tbsp Oil
- 10 no. Almonds
- 10 no. Cashews
- 3 tbsp Curd
- 2 no. Onions (Chopped)
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 3 no. Green Chillies
- 1/2 tsp Shahi Jeera
- 3 no. Cardamom
- 1 no. Bay leaf
- 4 no. Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 3 tbsp Fresh Cream
- Salt – to taste
- Add 1/2 tsp of turmeric, 1 tsp of salt to the washed chicken, rub & marinate for 15 minutes.
Pre-Preparation for Mughlai Chicken
- In a mixer, take almonds, cashews, curd & grind them into a fine smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, & fry the chopped onions till they turn golden brown. Transfer the onions into a mixer, grind it into a coarse paste & keep aside.
Making of Mughlai Chicken
- Heat oil in pan and add chicken pieces. Fry them till 75% done, remove & keep aside.
- In the same pan add whole spices (bay leaf, shahi jeera, cardamom, clove, cinnamon), & sauté for a few seconds.
- Add 1 tbsp of ginger garlic paste & fry until the raw smell goes off.
- Then add a dash of water along with chilli powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder& pepper powder. Sauté for a minute or two and add the fried onion paste.
- Add the ground almond & cashew paste to it. Mix well & cook it for 10 minutes in a low flame till the oil comes out.
- Now, add the fried chicken pieces along with 1/2 cup of water & mix well.
- Cover and cook the chicken for 15 minutes or till cooked through, while stirring the curry occasionally. If you want, add a little water and bring the curry to a boil.
- Finally add fresh cream, mix well & switch off the stove.
- Serve hot with naan or roti.
- Chop your onions for this recipe as fine as possible as it helps brown them faster and breaks them down quicker.
- Use bone-in chicken for this recipe as it is more flavorful.