Spicy Egg Masala Recipe is a simple, quick, flavorful, hot, and delicious Indian dish made with boiled eggs, onions, tomatoes, whole spices & spice powders. The best part is that the awesome flavor of this recipe is achieved using everyday ingredients, which you don’t have to rush out to buy for! So, you can prepare this delectable egg masala on any day or when you are out of vegetables in the fridge.
There are literally different ways an egg curry is made in each region and home in India. This South Indian version is a quick and super easy egg recipe that takes less than 30 minutes to get the curry from the stove to the dining table. In this recipe, eggs are shallow fried in oil along with turmeric and chilli powder before adding into the thick onion – tomato gravy which is spiced with ginger- garlic paste and basic everyday spices such as coriander powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, and salt. You can add simple boiled eggs to the curry. But I would recommend to shallow fry it before adding to the gravy, as it lends a beautiful flavor and color to the eggs.
It pairs well with plain rice, biryani, chapati, or paratha. This irresistibly delicious curry will surely satisfy your taste buds.
Spicy Egg Masala Recipe
- 3 no. Eggs (Boiled)
- 1 cup Onions (thinly chopped)
- 1 cup Tomato (thinly chopped)
- 2 no. Green Chili (Slit)
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Ginger – Garlic Paste
- 1 inch stick Cinnamon
- 3 no. Cloves
- 2 no. Green Cardamom
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 strand Curry Leaves
- 1 tbsp Coriander Leaves (finely chopped)
- Salt – as required
- Boil the eggs and keep aside.
- Heat one tbsp of oil in a pan, add a pinch of turmeric & red chili powder. Stir it well.
- Add boiled eggs & saute until they are browned from all sides. This step will impart more flavor to boiled eggs inside-out!
- Remove roasted eggs once the egg whites begin to change its texture and keep aside.
- Into the same pan add the remaining oil. Add whole spices (cloves, cinnamon & cardamom) & allow them to splutter.
- Then add onions, sprinkle some salt, curry leaves & fry till the onions turn slightly brown to enhance the aroma.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, turmeric & cook for 2- 3 minutes until the raw smell is gone.
- Now add thinly chopped tomato pieces, green chillies & some salt. Mix well & cook for 5 minutes till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add all the spice powders (chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder) and give it a good stir.
- Add 1 cup of water, salt to season and bring it to a boil.
- Now make cuts on the eggs with a knife and place them into the pan along with some coriander leaves. Cook for few minutes till the gravy gets desired consistency.
- Switch off the flame & serve hot with plain rice, roti, naan or paratha.
1. Add red chilli powder according to your taste. You can increase or decrease the amount.
2. Make sure come cuts on the eggs before placing them into the gravy which helps the eggs to absorb the flavors.
3. Mixed very gently after adding the eggs to the gravy, otherwise, they will break and spoil the flavor and texture of the dish.