Vegetable Biryani or Veg Biryani is a flavourful traditional one-pot meal made by cooking basmati rice with mix veggies, herbs & biryani spices. This quick recipe will give you a flavorful and healthy rice dish that you can make just under 30 minutes by using simple ingredients that are available in your kitchen readily.
Loaded with veggies, crunchy nuts, flavourful spices and, herbs like mint, this biryani is a delight to the taste buds in every bite! Traditionally Biryani was made by dum cooking marinated chicken/lamb meat with basmati rice but we are using assorted vegetables as we are making veg biryani. The great thing about this recipe is that it is easy to adapt – you can use veggies of your choice like potato, cauliflower, beans, carrots, green peas, mushrooms or even paneer. If you want to relish this dish in an authentic way, we suggest you prepare this dish with ghee which will accentuate the taste as well as the aroma of the dish.
This quick & healthy veg biryani recipe is worth giving a try and you can serve it on a Sunday lunch with family or a weekend party with friends. Veg biryani recipe is one of the delicious varieties of biryani and tastes awesome when it is served with raita, onion-salad-cucumber. It can also be served with Mirchi ka salan and shorba gravy.
Recipe Ingredients & Cooking Process
Note: You can change the Servings count below to get updated ingredient quantities.
- Rice Cooker
- 3 cups Basmati Rice
- 1 cup Onions (Thinly Chopped)
- 1/2 cup Cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup Potato (diced)
- 1/2 cup Beans (Cut into 1” long)
- 1/2 cup Carrot (diced)
- 1/2 cup Green Peas (frozen)
- 1 no. Tomato (Thinly Chopped)
- 4-5 no. Green chilli (cut lengthwise)
- 1 cup Mint leaves
- 1/2 cup Curd
- 3 tbsp Oil/ghee
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 tsp Biryani Masala (Optional)
- 2 tsp Ginger- Garlic paste
- 2 no. Cinnamon stick
- 4 no. Cloves
- 4 no. Green Cardamom
- 2 tsp Shahi jeera
- 1 no. Mace (javitri)
- little Stone Flower
- 2 no. Bay leaf
- 1 no. Star anise
- 1 no. Black Cardamom
- 2 no. Marathi Moggu
- Salt -as required
- 4.5 cups Water
Preparation for Veg Biryani
- Wash & soak the basmati rice for at least 1 hour in water.
- Chop all the vegetable, mint & keep them aside.
Making of Veg Biryani
- Heat ghee/oil in a pan, and add bay leaf, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon stick, shahi jeera, star anise, black cardamom, kalpasi, and mace. Let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Add onions, little salt, green chillies, and saute until the onions are translucent.
- Then add ginger garlic paste and cook until the raw flavour is gone.
- Now add tomatoes and cook till they turn soft.
- Add all the vegetables, stir, and fry for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Then add coriander powder, garam masala, turmeric, biryani masala, salt, chilli powder, and give it a good stir.
- Pour half a cup of whisked curd, mix well and cook till the vegetables are half done.
- Finally,add mint leaves, and mix well.
- Switch off the flame and transfer the vegetables into the rice cooker.
- Add the soaked rice along with 4.5 cups of water to the vegetable mix.
- Seasoning with some salt and mix well.
- Now cover the lid and cook until rice is cooked.
- Rest it for 5 – 10 minutes & fluff up the biryani carefully with a fork.
- If you are using the pressure cooker, cook the biryani for 2 whistles on medium flame. To get softer rice, you can also pressure cook for 3 whistles. Once the pressure settles down, remove the lid and gently fluff the rice.
- Serve hot with yourchoice of raita like onion raita or cucumber raita.
- Add the right amount of water. Take 1.5 cups of water for 1 cup of rice.
- I have used potato, cauliflower, beans, and carrots. However, you can use your choice of veggies like green peas, mushrooms, or even paneer.
- Better to soak the rice at least 30 minutes – 1 hour as this helps to cook the grains fluffy.
- Those who can take the dish spicy can increase green chilies as per your requirement